Social housing in Leith claims high Saltire Society design award
A social housing growth in Leith scooped the distinguished Saltire medal and the highest housing design award on the 2018 Saltire Society Housing Design Awards in Edinburgh.
Leith Fort, which consists of 94 new-build residential items and a communal inexperienced area, was praised as a “beautifully executed growth the respects the particular historical past and character of Leith whereas creating properties that match the wants of those that dwell in them”.
Broadcaster Allan Little, visitor chair, added: “At a time when there’s a crying want for extra social housing and inexpensive non-public housing within the Scottish capital, Leith Fort is an inspiring instance of what’s doable on a restricted funds: properties which are inexpensive, generously proportioned, and in a spacious city setting that’s designed to advertise neighbourliness, group and a way of possession, belonging and native pleasure among the many residents.”
Allan Little offered the awards alongside housing minister Kevin Stewart.
The winners had been:
- Due West, Lunga Property Architect: Cameron Webster Architects An beautiful residence towards a cliff near Craobh Haven that immerses the customer in magnificent views out over the west coast. Constructed off two rocks, it combines formidable engineering with a phenomenal and exact decision of the constructing at each scale. Due West is an distinctive mission in combining an actual feeling for drama with the sense of being a much-loved residence.
- Millbuies Home, Edinburgh Architect: Cameron Webster Architects An distinctive transformation of a publish warfare modernist home right into a superbly composed, modern residence. By advantage of a daring but simple technique to cowl its current courtyard, the constructing opens out right into a sequence of spacious, mild and well-proportioned rooms. Impeccably completed, it’s really transformational but remembers to remind us of its authentic qualities.
- The Coach Home, Falkirk Architect: thatstudio Chartered Architects Ltd A house modest in measurement however with nice ambition and an exemplar as the right way to construct appropriately within the grounds of considerable Victorian villas. Two sliding window partitions open out to the courtyard and utterly convinces in its intention to blur boundaries between inside and outdoors. It has a way of spaciousness that belies its compact footprint. Fantastically designed and constructed, that is an distinctive contribution to Falkirk’s constructed surroundings.
- Inclusive Household Residence, Edinburgh Architect: Chambers McMillan Architects A nondescript semi-detached bungalow in Edinburgh, renewed and recast to accommodate the particular wants of a member of the family. A brand new extension opens out to the backyard; it feels beneficiant and dispels any sense of the institutional. The dedication and experience of the architects together with the passion of the shopper create an distinctive mission that leverages a modest funds to provide a really inclusive residence.
- Claddens Home, Lenzie Architect: John Gilbert Architects A home that’s distinctive in delivering built-in sustainable design in Scotland. Conceived as a Passive Home to exacting requirements of power conservation, it additionally addresses with nice rigour the ecological selections to be made in constructing supplies and finishes. With components of self-build, the connection between shopper, contractor and architect are mutually collaborative and supportive. It’s strong however rigorously detailed and exhibits class, power and depth in its design.
- Powis Place, Aberdeen A pupil residence in Aberdeen that has a assured and complicated presence on a difficult nook website on the fringe of the town centre. Its residents take pleasure in exterior area each in a protected courtyard and a penthouse terrace with expansive views. That is an distinctive mission demonstrating how commoditised housing constructed to a funds generally is a vital work of structure.
- Leith Fort, Edinburgh Architect: Collective Structure An distinctive mission that regenerates a historic website in Edinburgh with a mixture of mid-market and social lease housing. A legible and easy masterplan is refined and chic in its execution. The person flats are distinctive and beneficiant. Leith Fort works sensitively in its historic context and connects effectively with surrounding streets. It’s an impressive growth that encourages in so some ways a way of group and belonging.
Receiving commendations from the judges had been:
- Westside, Pentlands Architect: Grey, Marshall and Associates: A rural residence that sustains its family. It revisits the standard Scots longhouse and adapts it for homeworking and a rental annexe for vacationers. Upstairs is open to the roof that provides their rooms a way of spaciousness. Westside co-exists effectively in its Borders setting with an unadorned but elegant utility. It’s a compelling instance of how well-designed housing contributes to an economically energetic countryside.
- Parkview, Dundee Architect: Web page/Park Architects A housing growth within the western suburbs of Dundee with expansive views south throughout the Tay. An current reform college is refurbished and prolonged with care, accompanied by a sequence of recent construct flats. Their gable ends face the road with a completely acceptable scale and presence. That is an exemplar growth that is aware of its market effectively and rewards them with a constructing beneficiant in each area and specification.
- Fortune Place, Edinbugh Architect Smith Scott Mullan Associates Housing in southern Edinburgh for older those who has a robust and assured presence to the road. Particular person flats are effectively designed that result in beneficiant communal amenities organised round courtyard gardens. Fortune Place is exemplary for its profitable and coherent decision at a each human and concrete scale.
Innovation Awards Commendations:
- Countesswells Section 1, Aberdeen Archiect Optimised Environments Ltd (OPEN) To ensure that Scotland to construct extra housing, more and more planners are releasing massive scale housing land. Nevertheless, massive websites require massive infrastructure commitments that want massive scale funds at the beginning of the mission which is commonly a barrier to efficient growth. At Countesswells the dedication to entrance finish funding has been achieved by a devoted funding firm to be liable for the grasp planning, infrastructure, panorama and companies leaving home builders to focus on constructing homes. This mission unlocked funding obstacles by having the assist of Aberdeen Metropolis Council to allow Countesswells to acquire a UK Authorities HM Treasury mortgage assure that gives lenders with the arrogance to fund infrastructure. This Treasury mortgage assure was the primary to be made obtainable for housing functions.
- Linkwood View, Elgin Architect:Kraft Structure An rising ageing inhabitants brings challenges for us to have the best sort of housing and care assist for older folks. This further care housing mission has developed a type of impartial dwelling that caters for a spread of care wants and supplies impartial dwelling inside a social interactive setting. The mission demonstrated how a collaborative partnership can meet folks’s care wants by using the talents, experiences and sources of a non-public developer, Springfield Properties, Hanover Housing Affiliation and Well being and Social Care Moray. Whereas this further care growth meets the wants of older folks it’s open to these throughout the age spectrum. It’s notably pleasing to see the advantages of an inter-generational strategy the place youthful and older folks dwell efficiently in the identical place.
Commenting on this 12 months’s awards, Allan Little mentioned: “I’ve been struck by how a lot effort is being made, within the constructing of recent homes in Scotland, to mix modern applied sciences, supplies and kinds with the present character of the surroundings – rural properties that chime with and respect the panorama; city developments that place modern designs harmoniously in a traditionally created context, whereas creating homes that meet modern wants. These are homes that above all look to the long run, however on the similar time respect the historic and aesthetic context wherein they’re constructed. Now we have seen an important variety – progressive, inventive, and provoking.”
David Jamieson, convener of the Awards Panel, mentioned: “These awards winners show two issues: firstly that in Scotland we’re able to constructing a few of the finest inexpensive housing on the planet, and secondly that now we have a tradition of constructing beautiful one-off homes usually with restricted budgets and which is sustaining a convention of workmanship in constructing development. There’s a wholesome tendency to make use of low carbon supplies, notably timber in development mixed with progressive considering on how constructing will be environmentally accountable.”
Sarah Mason, programme director of the Saltire Society, mentioned: “The Saltire Housing Design Awards are a particular second within the Saltire’s calendar, being the primary Awards established by the Society in 1937. The Awards not solely promote the significance of fine design and housing for all, however have developed to assist to honour and encourage creativity, excellence and innovation in fashionable Scottish place making.
“As ever I’ve been impressed by the design, innovation and a focus to element that’s current within the tasks celebrated and am notably happy on the distinctive examples of social a number of housing developments, which resonate with the explanations these awards had been established. The decide’s ultimate choices on the general winners had been notably onerous to make and had been solely made after a lot debate and dialogue, which is testomony to the calibre of architectural expertise in Scotland at present.”